Tuesday 15 July 2008

Death From Above



Two posts today? Madness.


Anyway, rather than tell you something about the usual suspects, i wanted to take an ever so slight detour by talking about my favourite record label, DFA.


I loved the rapture, and the first time i saw them at my second ever gig in January 04, they were amazing. I became a bit of a mad fan, and got their first album, and both their EPs, and i think i spent like 16 quid on the Mirror EP from hmv. Which is kind of a lot for like six tracks. They are all awesome, however so i wasnt too upset about that.

My frantic Rapture collecting led me to the DFA Compilation 2 which contained an old Rapture track called Alabama Sunshine, which kicks total ass also. This DFA mix started my four year love affair with this awesome label, which kind of sagged for a while after they put out the amazing Gavin and Delia album which contained four songs that were all like 10 minute + Synth workouts. So Good.


But now, with the release of the new Syclops album 'I've got my eye on you' and of course the Hercules and Love Affair cd that i somehow dont own yet plus cool as fuck releases from new boys Holy Ghost, Free Blood and others, it seems this label is back with a vengeance.

I will eventually try and get around to posting the odd track from DFA, but to be honest, they are well known enough for them to get by without a ton of promotional tracks, and most of the magic of these releases is probably lost with a ton of mp3s.

http://www.beatsinspace.net/ is a website ran by Tim Sweeney, the third man and second Tim in the DFA machine. On this site you can subscribe to the Beats in Space podcasts which i have been checking out recently and are AWESOME.

I was going to post an old Syclops track, but as i heard the amazing Adventures Close To Home remix of 'Never Hear Surf Music Again' by Free Blood did not make it to the final vinyl release (i believe it was a remix by some disco dudes called Barfly that did make it) i think i shall post it instead.

Big Points

x z x

Free Blood- Never Hear Surf Music Again (ACTH remix)
http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/21637548/file.html





No comments: